How Not To Get An Agent – Actual Transcript

The following is the actual transcript of a recent exchange between me and an aspiring voice talent.   See if you can spot the point at which I decide not to represent him:

To: PN Agency
Received: 12:18 PM

Hi,

I’m looking for an agent/manager. I’ve hosted/produced a radio show for a year, and currently help in the production of a daytime show, and am contracted as a promotional model.  I’m looking for more work, and a manager and/or agent.  I can do voice, commercial, modeling,extra, etc..

I am also a music maker, dj, and certified hypnotist.

From: Roger King
Sent:
3:08 PM

I would need to hear a voice demo.

Thank you.
Roger King

To: PN Agency
Sent: 6:23 PM

I do some singing etc… I can try for my voice for whatever you’d like. I’m a voice artist in that way. Eg. I can do a bad british accent, bad foreign accent, anything really I have a huge voice range.

I’ll send you some link to some of my song drafts.. skim through them for the vocal parts. This isn’t all my vocal materials BUT I
can do an accent regardless my tone can range I can deep voice high voice etc.. all I need is some voice samples and chances are I can mimic it.

(9 file links attached)

From: Roger King
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009, 6:32 PM

Thanks for the links but I don’t really have the time to go through all that, plus we don’t really get calls for vocalists. You would need to have an actual voice demo, about 1:00-1:30 in length.

You can visit our website – www.pnagency.com – to hear samples of voice demos.

Roger King

To: “Roger King”
Sent: 7:55 PM

here is voice only – if you’d like others let me know this is very adlib

Link attached (File is 8 minutes long)

From: Roger King
Sent: 10:29 PM

I’ve told you twice now that you need to make a proper voice demo and you don’t appear to pay any attention to what I say and keep sending stuff that has NOTHING to do with the voice-over industry and is not anything approaching a demo.

Roger King

To: “Roger King”
Sent: 11:08 PM

Hey Roger,

Perhaps you can be a little more specific in what you are looking for.

If you have a specific request in what you are looking for in the demo let me know but otherwise go to hell because you aren’t being very cooperative.

Tags: , ,

9 Responses to “How Not To Get An Agent – Actual Transcript”

1. Peter O'Connell Says:
    April 26th, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Roger:

I feel your pain, I truly do.

You are not alone :))

Best always,
    – Peter

2. Elizabeth Says:
    April 27th, 2009 at 8:46 am

Had me at “I can do BAD accents”.

3. Philip Banks Says:
    May 4th, 2009 at 3:48 am

Roger, you wasted his time! Take the shame, it’s people like you who stand in the way of other peoples success. Another email to him offering funding for a demo, coaching, headshot, weekend with a Thai ladyboy, a set of crockery, new car (4 wheel drive) and 11 doughnuts should make ammends.

When you’ve done the above I want you to go to your room and THINK about what you’ve done.

4. Liz de Nesnera Says:
    May 4th, 2009 at 7:34 am

Oh! He forgot to mention that he’s really good at taking direction too!

5. Melissa Ex Says:
    May 5th, 2009 at 11:20 pm

12:20am – 20 minutes into a new day and I’ve already met my laughter quota for the day!

6. Janet Ault Says:
    May 7th, 2009 at 6:58 pm

If this hadn’t really happened, I would swear it was a Seinfeld episode!

Janet M. Ault

7. Connie Terwilliger Says:
    May 14th, 2009 at 10:59 am

I think it may have been with the opening line – looking for an “agent/manager.”

The other day while I was running some errands I had three (3!) phone calls on my cell from a woman (I think it was a woman) in Ireland who ran across my website and wanted information of some sort about the voiceover business…the call was so confusing, I am still not sure what she/he wanted. But, like you (and like many previous times when you/we get these sort of calls/emails), I tried to provide some guidance/direction to help clarify.

Sigh…

8. dc goode Says:
    January 3rd, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Thanks VERY much Roger!
    Best laugh I’ve had all week!
    I think you showed incredible patience and restraint.

9. Robert McClellan Says:
    January 16th, 2010 at 1:34 pm

He was trying to hyp-mo-tize you into repping him!